Musculoskeletal disorders and correctional measures on fig gardeners in Estahban, 2017

  • A Hooshyar
  • GH Halvani
  • H Fallah
  • H Zare
  • S Zeraatkar
Keywords: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Posture, PATH Method, QEC Method


Introduction: Agriculture is one of the high-risk occupations, and musculoskeletal disorders are an integral part of this occupation and major farmers suffer from these disorders. The purpose of this study is correctional measures in Estahban.

Method: This descriptive-analytical, cross-sectional and observational study was performed on workers in the fig orchard. The Nordic, demographic and body map questionnaires were used to evaluate the prevalence of musculoskeletal symptoms. The study population was 170 randomly selected by simple random sampling. Subsequently, individuals who were exclusively working in the fig orchard (n = 95) were assessed for risk assessment. The methods for evaluating were PATH and QEC. Data were analyzed by SPSS software using McNemar and Wilcoxon tests before and after the intervention.

Results: Workers number 95 (55.9%) were only fig orchard workers and the other persons 75 (44.1%) had other jobs. workers 16 (9.4%) were single and 154 (90.6%) were married, mean age were 47.5 ± 14.4 years and work experience was 26.4 ±14.4 years. Frequency of musculoskeletal disorders in organs using body map was significantly different from before intervention (P <0.001). PATH risk level before and after the intervention was less than 0.05, in QEC method the mean total score before and after intervention was 94.36 ±16.09 and 52.63 ±12.18, respectively (P <0.001).

Conclusion: Ergonomic interventions can be used as a corrective action.